"The greatest gifts we leave behind are the lessons we teach and examples we set"

Common Questions

Although we cannot answer all of the questions regarding what to do after a funeral,
we can offer guidance in obtaining the necessary information.
Areas of importance that need to be addressed include the following:


After a funeral, financial accounts are an important concern. Financial accounts include:
  • Checking Accounts
  • Savings Accounts
  • Trust Accounts
  • Money Market Accounts
  • Annuities
  • Certificates of Deposit
  • Credit Union Fund
  • IRAs
  • Mortgages/Personal Loans
  • Mutual Funds
  • Pension Funds
  • Stocks and Bonds
However, since most banks differ in their policies, it is suggested that an individual contact his/her financial institution(s) for its (their) requirements.


All real properties (home, condominium, rented or vacant properties) should be expeditiously and properly transferred. Landmark Funeral Home recommends a person to do so with competent professional assistance to safeguard his/her interests and assets.


Transfer of title is needed for all motorized vehicles. All forms and title transfers can be done at the Department of Motor Vehicles, a satellite courthouse or at a local tag agency within the county. We recommend an individual call one of these facilities in advance for documentation requirements.


To claim entitled insurance benefits, the following documentation is required :
  • A Certified Copy of the Death Certificate for each Insurance Company
  • Claim Form Signed by Beneficiary
Landmark Funeral Home will assist in claiming life insurance benefits of the insured deceased. We have all relevant insurance claim forms available. In fact, at Landmark you can assign the insurance proceeds to pay the funeral expenses.


Landmark Funeral Home files a form with the Social Security Administration notifying them that a death has occurred. We recommend that a person call the Social Security office nearest to him/her to discuss any benefits for which he/she may be entitled. Information regarding the location and telephone number of the nearest office can be obtained from Landmark Funeral Home. A certified copy of the death certificate may be necessary to satisfy any of Social Security's requirements.


If applicable, Landmark Funeral Home files the following forms with the Veterans Administration:
  • Application for Burial Benefits
  • Application for United States Flag for Burial Purposes
  • Application for Government Marker
Home | Landmark At A Glance | Our Story | About Us | Obituaries | Services | Aftercare | Common Questions | Tour Landmark | Events | Contact Us